altitude 650 mts., 26 Kms. from Como
Site of ancient origins, Castiglione is loceted along the road that goes across Val d'Intelvi up until the Swiss territory. At first it was called “Castrum”, following the construction of a military camp in the suburb “La Torre nel Medioevo”.
In Castiglione Intelvi was born Giovanni Buono, the first ever known to be one of the “Magistri Intelvesi”, technicians and artists that, from the XII century, travelled across Europe and became well-known for their monuments; in the valley is located the Appacuvi, an association that deals with the recovery and the restoration of artistic local works of the “Magistri”.
The Rinaldi House or “del Capitano”
Part of a medieval group of buildings, the Rinaldi House, also called “del Capitano”, preserves frescos dating back to the XIV century.
S. Stefano church
A seventeenth-century reconstruction (1638) of a previous building, it is characterized from a hut facade, with a stone portal, a single isle and six lateral chapels. Inside: frescos and a baptisimal spring of the XVII century.
The Madonna del Restello oratory
So named after the gate (in dialect “restel”) that had the purpose to protect, miraculously, the country from the plague, it was built in the years between 1.717 and 1.726. With an octagonal plant, the building preserves inside a typical eighteenth-century decoration, with stuccos, frescos, paliotti in scagliola, made by local artists, and a rococò altar.
In July and August the Pro Loco organizes: parties in the country-side and dances in the town square, usually on Saturdays.
End of July, beginning of August: festa dell'Unità.
WE SUGGEST :
Hotel : La Torre - Via Roma n. 53 - Castiglione d'Intelvi -
tel.: +39 031 830345
|Read this news -> | All the news -> | RSS/XML|